Oct 13, 2020
Dog and cat waste left on the ground is something no one likes to see or step on! It pollutes our water and poses a health risk for pets and people, especially children.
It adds up! One pile of pet waste might not seem like a lot; however, more than 250,000 dogs live in Austin, generating 150,000 pounds of waste throughout the city every day. When not disposed of properly, this waste washes into local waterways and causes problems with:
Human and Pet Health
- Other viruses and parasites
- Overgrowth of algae and aquatic weeds
- Reduced oxygen for fish
- Unsafe recreational areas for fishing or enjoying
What Can I Do?
- Bring It! Carry a scooper bag when you walk your dog.
- Scoop It! Use the baggie like a glove, scoop the poop, invert and seal the bag.
- Toss It! It belongs in the trash.
- Place a Sign! Put a “Scoop the Poop” sign in your yard to encourage your neighbors to scoop it up too!
Please remember to always Scoop the Poop and to dispose of pet waste properly! You can find downloadable resources and more information here: